Job Title: Indigenous Leadership Initiative - Youth Assistant
Temporary; the expected duration of this job is between the months of August and October 2017.
To travel to Yukon communities and assist the Arctic Institute of Community-Based Research (AICBR) in outreach regarding the Indigenous Leadership Initiative (focused on Indigenous Guardians, community land-use planning, and Indigenous protected areas).
Based on experience. All travel will be covered.
Read more on Indigenous Leadership Initiative here: http://www.ilinationhood.ca/
- Preference for Indigenous youth, aged 18-30 years old.
- An understanding of Yukon First Nation culture and protocols, issues around ecosystems and biodiversity, parks management in Yukon and land-use planning, renewable resources, and/or Indigenous ways of guardianship of homelands, an asset.
- Post-secondary experience and/or relevant coursework through Yukon College’s Renewable Resource Management course or Natural Resources and Environmental Economics course, an asset.
Expectations & Responsibilities:
- Attend orientation and training conducted by Arctic Institute of Community Based Research.
- Communications skills and First Nation cultural protocols
- Climate change from international to local effects
- Indigenous Leadership Initiative overview
- Uphold guidelines discussed in training.
- Assist in the development of outreach and engagement materials with First Nations communities (i.e. note-taking, scheduling, and presenting to communities about Indigenous Leadership Initiative).
- Assist with research on case study examples to be shared with other Yukon communities.
- Be flexible to travel (sometimes on short notice) to Yukon communities (via vehicle and/or air).
- Participate in community activities and events (where relevant).
- Take photos (where relevant).
- Attend regular team meetings to give updates on work.
- Assist with developing a final report, compiling feedback from each community into a comprehensive document.
Please send cover and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information about this job posting, please email or call us at: 867-668-3393.
Application Deadline: August 4th, 2017